Become a Member of the National Counselling Society
This section is designed for people who are applying for individual membership.
Please use this section to find out all the benefits, criteria and how to apply.
The National Counselling Society recognises the experience and skills that each individual can bring to our profession and you will find this is reflected in our application process. You can read the testimonials from some of our current members.
The National Counselling Society provides an easy to understand application process. In this section, we provide you with all the information that you need to know about applying to become a member. Irrelevant of your membership grade, the Society only has one fee and this will remain the same even if you wish to upgrade in the future.
You can click on the following to download our brochure and find out much more about the Society and the wide range of benefits available.
Our Application Ethos and benefits
We aim to avoid a needlessly complicated ‘tick box’ style of application in preference for a more holistic approach to your experience, practice and qualifications. We are holders of a Professional Standards Authority Accredited Register of counsellors and we give clear guidance about what you need to do to become an Accredited Registrant if that is your goal. You may have been in practice for some time, and your training route may have been different from current requirements. We will refer such applications to our Professional Standards Committee for an individual assessment, thus ensuring that applicants who meet the relevant standards for safe, competent and ethical practice need not be excluded.
Nationally our Registrants work with a wide range of EAPs, organisations and businesses such as; Aviva, Workplace Options (EAP), Professional Help (EAP), Inspire Wellbeing (EAP), Validium (EAP), Spectrum Wellness (EAP), Anxiety UK, Innercycle and other NHS providers.
How To Apply
- Discover our great selection of membership benefits.
- Whether you have just started on a course of studies or have been practising counselling for years — you will be guided to the appropriate membership grade. Tell us if you are already a member of another relevant professional body and we may be able to offer you an equivalent membership grade.
- Apply Now — request or download an application form.
- If you have any questions about your application — contact us.
I'm Registered with another organisation, what can the NCS do for me?
Alongside our unique ethos, we have a range of membership benefits for anyone joining the Society. If you have a membership with another organisation that holds Accredited Register status under the Professional Standards Authority, we will be able to recognise the process you have already gone through in order to obtain membership. We will provide an equivalent grade to membership with the Society, for example, you will need to hold registrant status in order to be placed on the Society Register. This avoids needless completion of additional paperwork as some verification will already be in place via your existing membership (please note you will need to complete an application form, filling out only the necessary sections as guided by signposting for those who hold membership elsewhere and would like the equivalent membership grade).
Unfortunately, if your membership is not obtained via another Accredited Register organisation, we will not be able to offer equivalent routes to membership as we are unable to verify their standards.
I'm a student, what can the NCS do for me?
Student membership with the NCS is open to anyone studying a counselling course which would be compatible with the Society Code of Ethics, irrespective of whether such course is recognised by the Society.
Student members of the NCS receive a wide range of benefits including:
- Reduced Supervision Fees
- Reduced Personal Counselling Fees
- Full access to the members' area of the website which includes good practice guidance and other useful information
- Access to a placement listings page
- Up to 30% off with selected book publishers
- As a student member of the Society, you can apply for the TOTUM card (previously known as NUS Extra).
- We charge the same membership fee of £100 for all membership levels and we do not charge any upgrade fee if you wish to apply for an upgrade. (The usual one-off £40 joining fee is not applicable for students on NCS recognised courses)