Ms Karen Roper
Member Status: Senior Accredited
Member No: NCS19-07635
I am an experienced integrative counsellor offering a person centred grounding to my practice. I believe that the professional working relationship created through acceptance, honesty and understanding is key to a positive counselling experience and potential outcome and I work hard to maintain that.
My current availability is Tuesday, Wednesday, Friday and Saturday and can offer appointments from 9am to 7pm working from a central base in Gillingham, Dorset.
I can offer long or more focused short term therapy and my professional background maintains my experience of working with people of all ages and abilities. My counselling experience has included helping people deal with anxiety (generalised anxiety disorder), trauma, (PTSD), stress and depression, loss and bereavement, relationship difficulties or issues, anger, abuse and health related problems. I have a particular interest in issues surrounding self-image, identity and self-esteem.
My counselling practice can offer you an opportunity to discuss personal problems or worries within a safe and confidential service. You may be experiencing uncertainty in life or with your self, perhaps overwhelming sadness or worries or may have difficulties within a relationship and feel talking it over may help.
I offer a gentle, warm and accepting approach which supports building mutual trust, respect and equality, essential for you to feel comfortable. This is so that any challenges or emotional discomfort you may be experiencing can be explored in a safe and compassionate environment in which to you can discover, reflect and make any choices or life changes.
We can initially arrange a short meeting when we can talk through what you would like from counselling and discuss any questions or concerns you may have. We can see how we feel about working together and then agree on a mutually acceptable time and day.
I look forward to hearing from you and should you feel you would like to find out more just send me an email, text or ring before booking an initial session.
- Qualifications & ExperienceI have many years of experience within both education and social care sectors working with adults, children and young people. I have completed the CPCAB Level 5 Diploma in Psychotherapeutic Counselling and qualified with the CPCAB Level 4 Diploma in Therapeutic Counselling, with counselling skills at levels 2 and 3. I also hold a Post Graduate Certificate of Education and Foundation Degree in Education Studies and maintain my CPD by completing a variety of courses which have included
• Introduction to Therapeutic Creativity
• Mental Health Awareness.
• Psychodynamic Approach to Early Trauma
• Rewind technique in Trauma resolution
• Introduction to Mindfulness
• Working with children and young people
• Couples and Family Therapy
- What I can help with
- Abuse – Emotional, Physical, Sexual
- Addiction (e.g. Alcohol, Computer games, Drugs, Food, Gambling, Sex, Smoking)
- Ageing and related issues
- Anger Management
- Assertiveness / Self-confidence / Self-esteem
- Autism & Aspergers Syndrome
- Bereavement / Loss
- Cultural issues
- Divorce & Separation
- Eating disorders
- Financial difficulties
- Gender identity
- Generally unhappy with your life
- Illness and dying
- Obsessive compulsive disorder (OCD)
- Parenting skills
- Post-traumatic stress (PTSD)
- Pregnancy related issues
- Sexuality Identity
- Shyness / Social Phobia
- Suicidal feelings
- Violence / Victim support
- Young people and children
- Languages Spoken